2015 saw the launch of the Tasmanian Writers Centre’s inaugural Young Writers in the City program, in which seven young writers used the nooks and crannies of their city to spark inspiration for some fabulous literary accomplishments. All aged under 30, the participants explored a range of spaces around Hobart, setting up their chairs, laptops and notepads in the midst of shoppers and surrounds to compose essays between 1500 and 5000 words.
Since then, the Young Writers in the City projects have extended to other areas of the state. To date, the projects have also taken place in Launceston, Devonport and Glenorchy. See below for links to further details of those programs, and to read the resulting work from the talented young writers.
Glenorchy is our latest location for Young Writers in the City. To learn about our writers and the locations they were sent to click here: Glenorchy Young Writers in the City.
You can read the works produced by our writers here:
- Kate Dewar- MRC Residency
- Zara Gudnason
- Laura Hilton – Getaway
- Lily Bennett – Mitoloxía
- Vivienne Cutbush – GASP
- Elissa Evans – MONA
Read an overview of the Devonport writers and venues here. Venues included the Sea FM studios, the Spirit of Tasmania and the Bass Strait Maritime Museum.
Read the resulting pieces from the writers below:
Read an overview of the Launceston writers and venues here: Young Writers in the City 2016. The venues included Cataract Gorge, QVMAG, Launceston Aquatic Centre and City Park.
Read the resulting pieces from the writers below.
Hobart – 2015
The essays from Hobart’s writers can be read in the links below. Quotes from their work were displayed across ‘Soapbox’ billboards in Mathers Place when our Tasmanian Writers and Readers Festival took place in September 2015.
- Ben Armstrong – Elizabeth Mall. Read Ben’s essay Unified Mall Theory here.
- Michael Blake – Hobart Aquatic Centre. Read Michael’s essay Forever Underneath here.
- Claire Jansen – Mathers House. Read Claire’s essay Mathers House here.
- Britta Jorgensen – Hobart Town Hall. Read Britta’s essay Who Knew This Was Here? here.
- Hannah Grey – Hadley’s Orient Hotel. Read Hannah’s essay The Return here.
- Hannah Warwarek – Hadley’s Orient Hotel. Read Hannah’s essay A Place to Catch the Eye here.
- Cassandra Wunsch – Elizabeth Mall. Read Cassandra’s essay Hidden Rituals here.
Other Young Writers in…
Alongside Young Writers in the City, Young Writers programs were also run in: