Peter Timms was born in Melbourne and from 1971 until 1988 worked in public art museums in Victoria and NSW. He has been a freelance writer since 1988, including periods as editor of Art Monthly Australia and art critic for The Age. He has published 11 books. His first novel Asking for Trouble was published in 2014 by HarperCollins.
- Australian Studio Pottery
- The Nature of Gardens (editor)
- Making Nature: Six Walks in the Bush
- What’s Wrong with Contemporary Art?
- Philip Wolfhagen (monograph)
- Australia’s Quarter Acre: the Story of the Ordinary Suburban Garden
- Private Lives: Australians at Home Since Federation
- House (with Robyn Stacey)
- The Green Desert (with Peter Elfes)
- Asking for Trouble (novel)
- House Arrest (novel – publication forthcoming)